Fires, bikes, buildings banned in new Ningaloo Coast plan
Development would be off the table on the Ningaloo Coast under a new strategy proposed by the State Government to preserve the bush camping experience the region is renowned for.
The draft Ningaloo Coast management plan released by Environment Minister Stephen Dawson last week protects the Red Bluff to Winderabandi Point coastline from expansion of camping areas and prevents built accommodation in line with strong visitor desire to keep the coast undeveloped.
Off-road motorbikes would be banned and tracks deemed unnecessary closed to help rehabilitate the dunes.
Camp fires would only be permitted in fire rings or designated sites and dogs only allowed at permitted areas.
Moves to bring the coast under State Government and traditional owner control have been subject to intense scrutiny for decades, with pastoralists still seething over land excised from their leases in 2015.
Quobba, Gnaraloo, Cardabia, Warroora, and Bullara all agreed to the coastal land excise—mostly against their will—but Ningaloo Station did not.
That decision resulted in the pastoral lease being terminated and legal proceedings between the former station managers and State Government.
Environment Minister Stephen Dawson said the draft plan would maintain the affordable, self-sufficient camping people travelled to the area for.
“This area attracts many thousands of visitors each year who seek to camp against a backdrop of the world famous Ningaloo Marine Park,” he said.
“Managing the area in partnership with traditional owners will have many benefits, not only for sharing knowledge and the enhanced protection and management of the Ningaloo Coast but also in terms of job creation, connection to country and customary activities.”
Public submissions on the plan can be made until May 14.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails