Inaugural medal presented to eight Aboriginal officers
Eight WA Police members in the Mid West and Gascoyne have been presented with inaugural Aboriginal Service Medals.
Commissioner Chris Dawson presented the medals in a ceremony at Government House, to current serving Aboriginal members who had spent more than three years in the force.
District Superintendent Roger Beer, who attended the ceremony, said Commissioner Dawson instituted the medal to recognise the significant service of Aboriginal members.
“I’m very proud we have a good number of Aboriginal officers in the Mid West Gascoyne District,” Superintendent Beer said.
“It’s very important to how we are perceived in Aboriginal communities and allows us to grow relationships with Aboriginal people in the district.”
He said he believed awards would be presented to former members at a ceremony in Geraldton, at a yet to be determined date.
He also encouraged Aboriginal people thinking of pursuing a career in the police force to step forward.
“We welcome the opportunity to employ Aboriginal people wherever we can,” he said.
Commissioner Dawson presented 52 medals in the inaugural ceremony, 26 from regional WA.
The ceremony was hosted by television news anchor Neralda Jacobs. Professor Colleen Hayward led a welcome to country and singer Phil Walley-Stack performed for the gathering.
Commissioner Dawson and WA Governor Kim Beazley spoke.
Commissioner Dawson said the medal was an important step in reconciliation between Aboriginal people and police.
“The WA Police Force Aboriginal Service Medal gives tangible recognition to their service, both past and present, and demonstrates a commitment to improving relationships and fostering meaningful, positive change for future generations,” he said.
The ceremony followed a two-day Aboriginal employee gathering which included the launch of the WA Police Force Reconciliation Action Plan.
- Senior Constable Adrian (Blair) Comeagain (Yalgoo).
- Sergeant Michael Hall (Mid West Gascoyne Traffic Enforcement Group).
- Senior Constable Kylie Stack (Mid West Gascoyne Youth Crime Intervention Officer).
- Senior Sergeant Sheryl Jackamarra Brevet (OIC Multi-Function Police Facility Burringurrah).
- Senior Constable Charlie Comeagain (Mid West Gascoyne Youth Crime Intervention Officer).
- Senior Constable Gerry Pilkington (Mid West Gascoyne Traffic Enforcement Group).
- Senior Constable Rob Gibson (Mid West Gascoyne Youth Crime Intervention Officer).
- Senior Constable Darryl Loo (Carnarvon).
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails