Emergency services warn to stay clear of Chidlow house fire potentially containing asbestos

Claire SadlerThe West Australian
Firefighters are working to put out a house fire in Chidlow.
Camera IconFirefighters are working to put out a house fire in Chidlow. Credit: Paul Braven/kalgoorlie Miner

People were urged to stay clear of a house fire east of Perth as authorities said the home potentially contained asbestos.

Emergency services were called to the fire on Willcox Street in Chidlow just after 4pm on Friday.

The situation became more urgent when the Department of Fire and Emergency Services warned the public that the home could contain asbestos, causing potentially dangerous smoke to be blown in a south-westerly direction towards the Chidlow townsite.

Willcox Street between Northam Road and Onslow Street was closed as firefighters worked to put out the blaze.

Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire just before 7.30pm but people have still been urged to stay clear of the area until possible asbestos is removed.

The site has been secured to contain asbestos with the Shire of Mundaring arranging recovery of the material over the coming days.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails