Kalbarri is still without a workers accommodation hub to help speed up the cyclone Seroja rebuild two years on, while a workers’ camp is expected to be set up by the end of this month in the Kimberley in the wake of the January floods. The stark comparison has prompted the Opposition to call for a “please explain” from the State Government. Tuesday marked two years since Seroja tore through the Mid West, impacting about 800 buildings in the region and leaving a damage bill of about $400 million. Two years later, the rebuild has been slower than expected due in large part to a tightening construction and labour market. Shadow emergency services minister Martin Aldridge said he would be asking the government for more detail on why Kalbarri’s worker accommodation in Kalbarri had not yet been built. It comes as a 40-bed worker camp in Fitzroy Crossing is expected to be established by Rio Tinto by the end of April, to assist relief efforts in the region following floods at the start of the year. In August 2022, the McGowan Government announced Petra Westkey was its preferred proponent for the Kalbarri project and negotiations were ongoing. Mr Aldridge said the speed of progress in the Kimberley was proof worker accommodation could have been built earlier in Kalbarri. “When the government turns its mind to something, it can make it happen very quickly,” he said. “This seems like another example in the Seroja recovery where they’ve completely dropped the ball.” In State Parliament on March 28, Mr Aldridge asked the government why worker accommodation was being built more quickly in the Kimberley, how much the site in Kalbarri would cost, and when it would be complete. Agriculture Minister Jackie Jarvis, on behalf of Housing Minister John Carey, responded by stating the State Government had “fulfilled its commitment” by releasing land for the accommodation. “A preferred proponent has been identified, which will deliver the facility. As such, the costs and time frames associated with the construction of the facility will be the responsibility of the preferred proponent,” she said. A State Government spokesperson has said Petra Westkey are working through their financial and design details for the project. “The State Government’s commitment was to make suitable land available in consultation with the Local Government and we delivered that commitment. This commitment was made before Tropical Cyclone Seroja,” they said. “The proponent has advised they are working through their financials and design of the project in detail.” “Two years on, it would have been preferable to have worker camp within months of Seroja, not years. I still think there is a need because there is still a lot of reconstruction that needs to occur,” Mr Aldridge said. Mr Aldridge is visiting the Mid West to assess the Seroja rebuild effort this week. State recovery controller Melissa Pexton said there was “no defined end date” for the Seroja rebuild, but a two to three-year process was a fitting estimate.