Saffioti promises $17 million upgrades for Mount Magnet Road
Main Roads is to start work upgrading the Geraldton to Mount Magnet Road in January, according to WA Transport minister Rita Saffioti.
“I’m pleased to say we’ve already got $17.5 million allocated to improve that road, to recognise the fact that we need to make it safer,” she said.
“We will widen the shoulders and include audible edge lining.”
Road train traffic on the Mount Magnet Road has increased after new mines opened near Cue and Meekatharra, using Geraldton Port to ship their ores.
In September last year the City of Greater Geraldton council voted to ask the minister for 11 safety improvements as the road was becoming dangerous for ordinary commuters, farmers and tourists.
- Cyclone Seroja: Trucks and caravans stranded at Cue and Mount Magnet after major roads closed
- Mount Ridley confirms high-grade iron ore in Weld Range
- Young mum killed, three children, truck driver hurt in Mount Magnet crash
Deputy mayor Tarleah Thomas, herself a Mullewa farmer, initiated the request as a private member’s motion as she said her regular commute to Geraldton was becoming increasingly dangerous.
The Shires of Yalgoo and Mount Magnet supported the request.
Ms Saffioti hinted that more money might be available to improve the Mount Magnet Road.
“So we’re undertaking a record $455 infrastructure over two years throughout regional WA,” she said.
“One of the highlights from the Federal Budget last Tuesday was an extra $142 million for regional road safety.
“We’re waiting for the final tick off from the Federal Government.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails