Perth man charged in relation to alleged assault on 71-year-old in Carnarvon
Police charged a Perth man this morning in relation to an alleged assault on a 71-year-old man in Carnarvon.
Detective Sergeant Bruce McDonald said the 33-year-old had been charged with aggravated grievous bodily harm after an incident outside the Civic Centre on Camel Lane on Monday night.
Police allege the victim was confronted outside a hotel on Olivia Terrace, then chased and seriously assaulted about 6.20pm.
It is alleged the 71-year-old was struck on the head and suffered serious injuries requiring surgery.
Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE
Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.READ NOW
The 33-year-old has been bailed to appear before Carnarvon Magistrate’s Court on July 22.
Det Sgt McDonald said police had received valuable information from the public in relation to the investigation and he urged more people to come forward.
“If anyone has any information about the assault please contact Carnarvon Detectives, or Crimestoppers if they wish to remain anonymous,” he said.
Det Sgt McDonald said the public played an important a role working with police.
“They are our eyes and ears on the street,” he said.
Contact Carnarvon Detectives on 9941 7333, or report anonymously to Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000 or https://www.crimestopperswa.com.au.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails