About 25 gel blasters surrendered across greater Geraldton area ahead of State Government ban
About 25 gel blasters have been voluntarily handed in across the greater Geraldton area, ahead of a ban on the guns in WA coming into effect on July 3.
Police Minister Paul Papalia last Monday announced the State Government planned to outlaw gel blasters, which shot water-filled pellets and closely resemble conventional firearms.
Mr Papalia said the ban was in response to several incidents involving the misuse of gel blasters, where the guns had been mistaken for real firearms.
He said police also believed criminal groups were importing the guns and modifying them into working firearms.
Geraldton Police station officer-in-charge Sen. Sgt. Chris Martin said the response from the local community had been promising and encouraged others to surrender their gel blasters before the amnesty period ended next Saturday.
The penalty for anyone found in possession of a gel blaster after the ban comes into effect is up to three years imprisonment or a fine of up to $36,000.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails