Geraldton detectives arrest Jacob James Blechynden over street robbery involving hatchet on Durlacher Street

Jessica MoroneyMidwest Times
Geraldton Detectives officer in charge Det. Sen. Sgt Bruce McDonald. Liam Beatty
Camera IconGeraldton Detectives officer in charge Det. Sen. Sgt Bruce McDonald. Liam Beatty Credit: Geraldton Guardian/RegionalHUB

A 32-year-old man has been accused of chasing another man down a main street in Geraldton wielding a hatchet in a bid to steal the alleged victim’s shoes and then assaulting a police officer in the lock-up.

The alleged early morning street robbery happened on Friday when police say a 37-year-old man was approached by the accused from behind while walking in a northerly direction on Durlacher Street about 5.15am.

Geraldton detectives allege Jacob James Blechynden from Waggrakine asked the alleged victim for money, to which he replied he didn’t have any.

Detectives officer-in-charge Det-Sen. Sgt Bruce McDonald said Mr Blechynden allegedly demanded the man give him the shoes he was wearing and when he refused, Mr Blechynden removed a hatchet from his backpack, threatening him.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Police say the alleged victim ran away fearing for his safety and did not give anything to the accused, who briefly chased after him armed with the hatchet.

Geraldton detectives arrested Mr Blechynden in the Geraldton CBD about 11am.

While at the police station, Det-Sen. Sgt McDonald said Mr Blechynden was allegedly found to be in possession of a stolen Bank West debit card.

“Inquiries revealed the card was stolen from a car on Marine Terrace on November 28 and Mr Blechynden had used the stolen card to purchase items at the Coles Express Wonthella,” he said.

It is alleged Mr Blechynden stole $37.70 worth of items at the store.

Mr Blechynden has been charged with attempted armed robbery, gains benefit by fraud and possession of stolen or unlawfully obtained property.

He appeared in Perth Magistrates Court on Saturday and was remanded in custody to appear in Geraldton Magistrates Court on December 8 when he will apply for bail.

Det-Sen. Sgt McDonald said after being remanded, Mr Blechynden allegedly became abusive to police and failed to co-operate with instructions.

“He struggled with police as he was being returned to his cell and as he did so, he (allegedly) struck a police officer in the face, causing a minor injury to his lip,” he said.

Mr Blechynden was charged with obstructing police and assaulting a police officer after the alleged altercation with police.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails