Centenary marked with book & service
Mid West Christians have been invited to commemorate the first service of one of the region’s historic churches this weekend.
Through droughts, floods, wars, pandemics and a recent spate of crime, St Andrew’s Anglican Church in Mullewa has stood the test of time, continuing to serve the local community since opening its doors in 1921.
- HMAS Sydney’s memorial weekend
- Public art review as NSW artist takes aim
- Cargo worker arrested after ‘jumping ship’ in Geraldton
Tuesday marked the 100th anniversary of its first service and to celebrate the milestone a centenary thanksgiving service will be held this Sunday led by the Rev. Garry Hamersley, with preaching by Mullewa minister in charge the Rev. Don Miller.St Andrew’s was built from local stone quarried and carted by dedicated parishioners, with the foundation stone laid on August 3, 1921. Construction of the building was completed in just over three months.
To mark the centenary, the church commissioned Mullewa artist Helen Ansell (daughter of Mr Miller), to create a mural on the side of the church hall. The colourful mural uses local wildflowers to tell the biblical story of The Parable of the Sower.
St Andrew’s has released a 54-page commemorative book titled St Andrew’s Anglican Church Mullewa 1921–2021 — Memories of 100 years of Dedication and Devotion,which features stories submitted by parishioners and ministers, photographs, church history and church architecture.
Judy Critch and Helen Moorhead compiled the book together with former Mullewa resident Kerry Marriott, who looked after the design and layout.
All the work was done on a voluntary basis and proceeds from sales will go back into the church.
The commemorative book costs $20. For copies, contact email@example.com.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails