Cardinals’ big bash for nine decades of Geraldton hockey
The 90-year-old Geraldton Ladies Hockey Association had been going just three weeks when the first of its two teams had a change of name.
Quabba became Imperials on August 21, 1929. A month later, Wambu became Cardinals.
The only alteration to Cardinals’ title since then was in 1989, when it joined forces with (men’s club) Rovers, becoming Rovers-Cardinals Hockey Club.
On Saturday, over a cuppa and scones and after watching their A-grade women, the crew at Cardinals will celebrate nine decades of club and local hockey.
From May 22, 1930, cardinal, obviously, and black were the colours of the Cardinals.
It must have worked, as a year later the club were premiers, and in 1932, had sufficient numbers to form a second side. In 1941, black stockings were out and red sockettes in.
The uniform was a red tunic, white blouse and black-coloured sand shoes.
Many years later, it reverted to the original red (cardinal) and black colours.
Initially, Cardinals survived by holding dances and cake stalls, so an afternoon tea is fitting.
Plans have started for the 100th anniversary celebrations, where the drink of choice will be stronger and the party will last longer.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails