Cleo Smith found: $1 million reward for Cleo information ‘unlikely’ to be claimed
A $1 million reward offered for information that led to the discovery of missing four-year-old Cleo Smith is unlikely to be claimed.
WA Police acting Commissioner Col Blanch said police received intelligence late on Tuesday and officers entered the property in Carnarvon at 12.46am.
“Intelligence led them to that house. They went into that house, Cleo was in the house alone,” he said.
- Live blog: All the details on how the WA girl was found ‘alive and well’
- Ellie Smith shares incredible news her daughter has been found
- Neighbours heard crying from Carnarvon home where missing girl was found
When asked if he thought the $1million reward put forward by the WA Government in the early days of the investigation would be claimed, he responded: “I don’t believe so, no.”
Cleo had been missing for more than two weeks after disappearing from her family’s tent during a camping trip about 70km north of town at The Blowholes on October 16.
A man from Carnarvon is now in custody and is currently being questioned by detectives.
Premier Mark McGowan made the announcement of a reward on day six of the search.
“All Western Australians’ thoughts are with Cleo’s family during what is an unimaginably difficult time,” Mr McGowan said at the time.
“We’re all praying for a positive outcome. We want to ensure police have everything they need to solve this case and that’s why my Government has no hesitation in supporting police with this reward offer.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails