Alleged Melbourne anti-lockdown protest plotter Tony Pecora’s court fail
Alleged anti-lockdown organiser Tony Pecora claims he’s “almost a lawyer” after a year of study but failed to change his bail conditions.
The 44-year-old is facing several charges including counts of inciting others to breach public health restrictions by organising anti-lockdown protest in September 2020.
He appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday and attempted to vary his bail conditions.
Mr Pecora, a former candidate for Clive Palmer’s United Australia Party, told the court he was “pleading innocent” to all charges and had been on bail for the past year following his arrest.
“I’ve almost become a lawyer in that 12 months with all the studying I’m doing,” Mr Pecora said.
He told the court the bail conditions he faced were “onerous and unreasonable”, and argued they were “impossible” to abide by.
Prosecutor Helen Spowart said there were no issues changing the Middle Park man’s bail so he was no longer subject to a curfew, could assist caring for his father and move house.
But the changes couldn’t be made because his wife - who secured a surety for his release - wasn’t present, Magistrate Matthew White explained.
“The problem you’ve got is the surety is not here so we can’t progress it,” he said.
Mr Pecora also claimed during the hearing he had “enormous evidence of treason” against a local MP and said Premier Daniel Andrews’ actions under the state’s emergency powers were “fraudulent”.
“I’m telling everyone and nobody wants to hear it,” Mr Pecora said.
He is also facing new charges of breaching bail conditions including not to use, create or participate in the use of social media and refrain from using the “Arkwell Tripelligo” alias between October 2020 and July 2021.
Police allege Mr Pecora used a Facebook account with the name to organise the rallies in September 2020 during the state’s second wave of coronavirus outbreaks.
He’s also alleged to have contravened a bail condition of using or participating in social media, complying with the chief health officer’s directions and not attending public gatherings in August, according to charge sheets.
The magistrate adjourned the hearing despite Mr Pecora’s complaints he wanted it dealt with today.
The case will return to court in December.
Originally published as Alleged Melbourne anti-lockdown protest plotter Tony Pecora’s court fail
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails