Film starring Russell Crowe, Liam Hemsworth shut down after Covid case
A movie starring Russell Crowe and Liam Hemsworth being filmed across NSW has been forced to shut down after a crew member tested positive to Covid-19.
Crowe, 57, took to social media with the “unfortunate” news on Tuesday.
He said a second possible positive case was also being investigated by the movie’s Covid team and NSW Health just six days out from wrapping up filming.
“The crew have been masked on set the whole time except for three individuals with medical exemptions,” he said.
“We have followed strict protocols with cast and crew being tested three times a week for the past 11+ weeks.”
Crowe shared his sympathies both for the film’s crew and local community as the pandemic continued to wreak havoc on their lives.
“We feel for the crew members involved, like all the people on this show they are both very committed team players and diligent in their approach to their work responsibilities.
“We also feel for the wider community going through these difficult times. We hope this situation will be confined and we can be back up and running very soon.”
The Producers of Poker Face confirmed to NCA NewsWire that one crew member had been diagnosed with Covid-19 and a second possible positive case was under investigation.
“The production has been working under strict Covid-Safe guidelines and is committed to ensuring utmost safety to cast, crew and the wider Sydney community,” they said in a statement.
“Production was immediately paused with everyone instructed to isolate whilst the situation is investigated.”
The psychological thriller Poker Face is being directed by Crowe and will feature Hemsworth, his sister-in-law Elsa Pataky and Wu-Tang Clan frontman RZA.
The film revolves around a tech billionaire, played by Crowe, who gathers his childhood friends for what turns into a high stakes game of poker when his Miami mansion is overtaken by a dangerous home invader whose previous jobs all ended in murder and arson.
Parts of the movie have been filmed across the state, including on the NSW south coast in Kiama, south of Wollongong, in the Crown Towers in Barangaroo and in Sydney’s Fox Studios.
It is due to be released in 2022.
The Member for Kiama Gareth Ward took to social media earlier this month to slam the project, saying it made “a total mockery” of Covid-19 public health orders.
“People can’t see family and friends, funerals limited to 10, no cases in Shellharbour but still locked down but apparently “A-listers” producing movies is essential?” he tweeted.
Originally published as Film starring Russell Crowe, Liam Hemsworth shut down after Covid case
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails